Sunday, July 29, 2018

Noodles, Noodles, Noodles...

This is Mr. Ping from Kung Fu Panda. In the movie, he owns a noodle shop - he lives for noodles. Noodles, noodles, noodles... 
You've learned over the my last few posts that the food in Okinawa has been a BIG part of my journey. Well, this post is dedicated to my favorite food here: NOODLES!

In Japan, there are several different noodle dishes to experience and enjoy!  Soba, in general, is the name for Japanese noodles dishes that are made with buckwheat or wheat noodles. Occasionally you'll be served an egg noodle but for the most part it will be in the wheat family (the thicker wheat noodles are more like udon). You can find them served cold with dipping broths or hot in noodle soup forms (this noodle soup is what we know as ramen). Yakisoba, which is scrumptious, refers to a stir-fried noodle dish. 

When ramen is your main course it will, most likely, have a protein, onions, chives, seaweed, bean sprouts, and bamboo shoots. It could have many other delicious items inside but those are the standard items I've seen in the bowls I've consumed thus far. The protein could be pork (which is king here in Okinawa), chicken, tofu, and/or a hard boil egg. Your broth will change depending on the type of ramen you order. The base could be soy, salt, or miso. When ramen is a side dish it's usually seaweed, onion, chives, and noodles. Zach likes his ramen spicy. I prefer mine to be a bit blander - salty is good for me. The best thing about ramen is that there is a flavor for everyone. 

Yakisoba is absolutely scrumptious and unlike anything I've had in the states (same as the ramen here). It has the same vegetables as ramen, minus the seaweed, and is stir-fried in a broth. It is fantastic!

I have tried six different noodle dishes so far (yes, I have a problem) and they have all been delicious and elicited a happy dance. Therefore, when you visit Okinawa (because by the time you finish reading all of my hobbit updates you're going to HAVE to visit Okinawa) try some noodles. 


"Where should we go?" The truth is you could try any noodle place. There is a restaurant here called Arashi that is very good and they do have an English menu, but Zach and I found some incredible noodles just by stopping at a place that popped up as Noodle House on Google Maps. So, my advice? Be adventurous and try what looks good to you!

Happy slurrping and Itadakimasu!


1 comment: