Tuesday, July 17, 2018

Left Side

As I mentioned last time I'd like to share my story of learning about the left side of things here in Okinawa.

Just as Bilbo needed to learn how to ride a horse,

I needed to learn how to drive on the left side of the road


- and learn Japanese driving law.

Part of being stationed in Okinawa is attending a Welcome Aboard briefing day. Throughout the day you learn about Okinawa, housing, healthcare, services available to you, the laws of the land and the legal proceedings that follow if an issue occurs. Vendors also attend this event to advertise their services (side note: attendees can receive coupons for upcoming grocery and household good purchases as they restock their homes here in Okinawa at this event or at MCCS). Although this is a long day, it is a beneficial one.

You may be wondering, "How can they convince everyone moving to Okinawa to attend the Welcome Aboard?"

Answer: "SOFA License."

The Japanese government and the U.S. Military have an agreement that, without getting into much detail, results in a SOFA status. With SOFA status you are able to sit for an exam to receive a driver's license in Japan. This exam happens during the Welcome Aboard. Throughout the day you register for and take the exam. If you pass, you receive your license at the end of the brief.

Coming to Okinawa, I, like most people, had never driven on the left side of the road. My husband had experienced driving on the opposite side in Europe so he was not quite as nervous as I was. Due to my nerves, I studied two different guides, a set of internet flashcards, and took a Japanese online quiz while my husband perused one study guide and browsed some flashcards.

When it came time for the exam I was so nervous. Driving in Okinawa was going to be essential. If I wanted a job, I had to drive. If I wanted an adventure, I had to drive. I had to pass.

We had "x" amount of minutes to complete fifty or so questions. When I put my pencil down I breathed a sigh of relief, turned in my exam, and waited.

And waited. You have to wait through three or four briefs and the lunch break before you find out if you passed.

When we returned from lunch we stood in line. Some people rejoiced that they passed. Others cried or looked upset that they failed. When we got to the front of the table, a kind woman asked for our names. We told her. She pulled out our cards. She said, "You passed." I exhaled and squealed. She instructed us to sign our licenses and then to proceed back to our seats. Our licenses would be available for pick up at the end of the day.

Eighteen people failed that day. In a Welcome Aboard of over a hundred people, eighteen failed. Not that many but it still proves that you can fail. So my advice is this: don't believe it when we people tell you "It's common sense." Get the manual and study. If you do you'll have a much higher chance of succeeding.

When we left the Welcome Aboard that day, we left with licenses in hand. A few days later we acquired two vehicles (one of them is pictured above). The day we purchased them was the first day I drove on the left side of the road. Let's put it this way, for the first week I felt like I was sixteen again and driving for the first time. I had to focus 100% on driving. Forget memorizing landmarks or streets I was too busy trying to make sure I was following the road laws, some of which are different from ours. For example, in the states right turn on red is legal; here left turn on red is illegal. Now that I have driven more (thanks to the encouragement of my husband) I am more comfortable and have started memorizing routes. Just like driving on the right side, practice makes perfect.

One thing that is very helpful when learning to drive in Okinawa is the speed limit. The average speed near our house is 40 kph which comes out to just under 25 mph. The speed limit on one of the main routes is 50 kph which is 31 mph. With the speed limits being so slow it's easier to learn because you have more time to think and react. But if you feel the need for speed you can take the interstate which at some points is 80 kph which is just under 50 mph!

Overall, driving in Okinawa is not something to be afraid of - if I can do it, you can do it! Just remember, you're not the first person to hit your windshield wipers instead of your blinker, to exit a gas station on the right side instead of the left, therefore, holding up traffic and clogging said exit, or panic when on a back road that isn't big enough for one car less alone two.

That's essentially what I have learned from driving on the left side in Okinawa - I'm not the first and I won't be the last.

Now that I have my license and a car - here's to many adventures!

For my followers, here's your clue for next time... keys.

No comments:

Post a Comment