Tuesday, July 17, 2018

Home Sweet Home

"...A perfect house, whether you like food or sleep, or story-telling or singing, or just sitting and thinking best, or a pleasant mixture of them all." J. R. R. Tolkien 

 
Every hobbit needs a hobbit hole. For those of you who have moved whether across the country or to a different country and lived out of a suitcase and in a hotel for weeks on end, you understand how refreshing it is to finally get the keys to your house. To have an address. A place to put your toothbrush. It's one of the best feelings. Moving into our house has made us feel like Okinawa is our new home and has helped us settle in quickly. (For those of you who may be wondering, our house is the one on the right. Unfortunatley, hobbit holes are not government issued.)

Housing was another one of those issues where I read WAY too much about it on Facebook before arriving to the island. Those of you who know me know that I am all about research, but I over researched housing. I read every negative thing I could about housing because, like most of the information online, that's the majority of what is out there. Therefore, when I came to Okinawa I was a bundle of nerves (as I was about most things). 

Side note: all that time I spent worrying was wasted time. God has literally worked everything out. Samwise = check. Driver's license = check. House = check. Life lesson: Pray more - worry less. 

The housing office here was wonderful to work with. We were a bit misinformed about the housing process but once we learned how each step worked it was seemless. I know that everyone has their own experience but ours was incredible. We did not have one stressful moment with the housing office. We had our housing brief and by the next day were viewing two housing options. After we selected our house we were moved in the following weekend. It all happened so quickly for which I am grateful to God, for answering our prayers and working it all out, and the housing office, for being His instrument and working so expediently.

Within nine days of our housing brief we were settled in our house and were able to bring Samwise home! We're super grateful that he can complete his quarentine here (I think he's pretty happy about it too)! 
The area that we live in is further north of the larger cities in Okinawa so the pace is a bit slower which we like. We're still exploring our new city so I'll update you soon with all my cool finds as I go out and about. Now that these hobbits have a hobbit hole to retreat to it will make all of the "adventuring" so much more enjoyable! 

Side note: the sunsets here are just like the pictures some of you have Googled - gorgeous. I will try to capture one of them soon and post it for you. 

Until we meet again, think about 100 yen...



No comments:

Post a Comment