Friday, July 27, 2018

Give Me A Break...

By now you've learned that I am a foodie. My favorite part of traveling is trying new foods and experiencing different flavors. So far Okinawa and I are getting along quite well in this regard. In the future, I'll post more about our different culinary experiences here (which have been fantastic), but today I want to focus on something more serious...

Just kidding... Today I want to talk about KitKats. Many people from home have asked me what things are similar and what things are different between the States and Okinawa. This is a very broad question and can be a bit daunting to answer - which is one of the reasons I started this blog. Well, here's one answer to said question. Something similar between the States and Okinawa is the availability of KitKats. However, there is a difference between the KitKats sold here and the KitKats sold at Walmart. 

"What's the difference?"

THE FLAVORS!

Here in Okinawa, the flavors are different and a bit more creative from what we're used to in the States. Our KitKat adventure started when we were shopping for cleaning supplies one afternoon. Passing by an aisle we were captivated by this rich green packaging that had the words KitKat written one it. Before Zach realized what was happening, his hand was outstretched, reaching for the shiny package, placing it in our cart. We would later find that the rich green package contained Matcha flavored Kit Kats. 

Side Note: Since Matcha is a fine powder made out of green tea leaves these KitKats are not very sweet so if super-sugary candies aren't your thing - this is the KitKat for you! 
(FYI: The Matcha KitKat is Zach's pick)

During the same shopping trip, I was intrigued by the pastel pink package stacked next to the selection of green ones. Once again the words KitKat graced the front. I eagerly grabbed the package to find raspberries on the top corner of the bag. RASPBERRY!? Yes, raspberry. 

Once we paid for our cleaning supplies and candies I ripped into this bag. These KitKats are delicious if you like the tartness of real raspberries. They do not taste like the fake raspberry flavoring we're used to in candy but like real raspberries. So, like the Matcha, they are not overly sweet, but they are sweeter than Matcha. I like these so much that I have already bought a second bag (good thing I walk more in Okinawa) and while doing so convinced someone else to buy them. They're that good!

I've tried two other kinds of KitKats in the short time we've been here (feel free to judge). One was a Cookies and Cream ice cream flavor and the other was a fancy cranberry almond flavored KitKat.

The cookies and cream flavor is very good. If you're looking for a super sweet KitKat this is the one for you. It is rich in flavor but very sweet. In my opinion, one is all you need of the cookies and cream. 

The cranberry almond KitKat partners with Chocolatory to make a different kind of KitKat. These are individually wrapped and have toppings on the outside of the bar. This flavor received a 50/50 rating at our house. I really enjoyed this one while Zach couldn't stand it. So, you'll just have to try it and see what you think! Regarding sweetness, these are a happy medium in my opinion - not too sweet, not too sour.

There are still so many flavors that I haven't tried yet, and I'll be honest, I'm planning to try as many as I can!

A similarity to the States is that these KitKats all come fun sized! It makes them the perfect after dinner treat to eliminate a sweet tooth. No, I'm not advocating that they're healthy. Just that they're small - you know the whole 80/20 rule. Everything in moderation, right?

These KitKats have been a lot of fun! They've also been a great example of two worlds colliding. It's a candy that represents my home with a flare that illustrates the color, uniqueness, and flavor of my new adventure. Yep, I got all of that from a fun-sized candy bar.

So come on everyone, sing it with me, "Give me a break, give me a break, break me off a piece of the KitKat bar!"


No comments:

Post a Comment