Friday, July 20, 2018

Vending Machines

I'm super excited about this post because this is one of my favorite things about Okinawa life so far... the vending machines.

If you know me, you know it doesn't take much to amuse me or make me happy. For me, it's the small things in life that do the trick.


When we first arrived on the island we couldn't drive and we didn't have access to a lot of coffee. This was a BIG PROBLEM for me. These vending machines became my best friend our first week here and over the past twenty days on the island we've built a pretty solid relationship. 


You're probably thinking, "What is so special about a vending machine?"


This:



  
Here in Okinawa vending machines are everywhere. Like, the middle of nowhere, everywhere. Yes, vending machines are in shopping centers and outside of gas stations but they're also randomly placed along roadways like the one you see above. 


Another difference between the vending machines here and the ones in the States is the selection. As you can see from the pictures, there are several choices in each machine. There are different types of sodas, waters, coffees, teas, energy drinks, and juices.  (Don't let this be intimidating. Just go with what looks good!) 

I really enjoy the coffee choices in the vending machines. When I'm on the go and can't make a cup of coffee at home or stop to get one; these are perfect! Boss coffee is one that a lot of people recommend and you can find in several machines. Georgia coffee is also very good and is a regular option in most machines. Both Boss and Georgia offer coffee in black, cream and sugar, and cafe au lait options. You'll just have to stop and see what they have in the machine you've chosen (which is part of the fun).


Another recommendation I have would be apple tea. I've tried a few of them and have enjoyed them all! Dydo makes a really refreshing one so try theirs first if you can. But, ultimately, no matter who makes it, try apple tea!

I've also tried orange juice, seltzer water, different teas and my husband has tried a melon shake from the vending machines as well.  It's all been good! The bottom line - visit a vending machine and try something new! 


Ya know, after writing a post about beverages I'm pretty thirsty so I think I'm going to go grab a drink. Wonder what I'll try today...



1 comment:

  1. I am so glad you are finding little joys in your exciting journey of life! I look forward to reading all about it!

    ReplyDelete